Q1. How do Departments allocate accommodation?

Departments have the responsibility of ensuring that the initial assignment of accommodation is appropriate and employees may be given options, where practicable, on a first-come, first-served basis.

When providing government housing, departments shall attempt to allocate appropriately sized dwellings on the premise of one bedroom for each household member.

Q2. I am an employee without dependants and have been assigned a 3-bedroom unit. Will my rent be adjusted?

Yes. In this type of situation, the rent charged shall be 60% of the full rent for the unit.

Q3. I am an employee with two (2) dependants but have been assigned a four-bedroom unit. Will my rent be adjusted?

In this type of situation, the rent would not be adjusted given that the occupants may benefit from the extra living space available.

Q4. What happens if I have to share my accommodation?

When the Employer requires two (or more) employees, who would normally live separately to share accommodation, their individual share of the rent charge shall be prorated by the number of occupants (for example: 2 employees - rent share is 50% of total rent for the unit).

Q5. Will local hires be provided with accommodation under the IPGHD?

Government Housing would not normally be provided to local hires.

Q6. Both my spouse and I are public service employees. Are we both expected to pay rent?

Members of an employee couple are expected to sign and remit to the employing department(s), a joint declaration indicating which person the rent should be charged to.

Q7. I have heard that the new Shelter Cost Differential (SCD) may be payable to employees who occupy government housing. However, the rates for government housing are not listed in Appendix M? Why?

The SCD for employees in Government Housing is limited to the difference between the current average 3-bedroom Base Shelter Value (BSV) for government housing and the national average rent at the Points of Departure.

In simpler terms that means that the average base shelter value (BSV) for all three-bedroom single-detached government housing units in your location must exceed the national average rent at the points of departure. Currently, the national average is $975.00.

Q8. The rent charge for my government housing unit is already $1000 per month – does this mean that I will receive a Shelter Cost Differential on August st?

As stated above, the SCD becomes payable to employees in Government Housing at a location once the average BSV for all three-bedroom units at that particular location is above the $975.00 threshold. At this time, on average, the three-bedroom rent charge for government housing units at all Isolated Posts is below the qualifying level.

Q9. Once my location qualifies, would I receive the Shelter Cost Differential (SCD) even though I live in a one-bedroom government-housing unit and not the three-bedroom model?

Yes that is correct. However the total amount of SCD paid to a household will not exceed 100% of the employee with dependants rate and employees without dependants will receive 60% of the rate for an employee with dependants.

Q10. What is the Shelter Cost Differential (SCD)?

A Shelter Cost Differential is payable at certain isolated posts to help offset the higher shelter charges experienced there. The SCD represents the difference between the average rent for a three-bedroom detached bungalow at the isolated post and the national average rent for a similar unit at the 12 locations identified as points of departure in the directive.

Q11. Am I entitled to receive the SCD if I live in Government Housing?

Yes, but not right away. The SCD for employees in Government Housing is limited to the difference between the current average 3-bedroom rent in government housing and the national average rent at the Points of Departure.

Q12. When will the new rent charges take effect?

The rental charges for Government Housing shall continue to be reviewed and adjusted annually. The normal date for implementation of revised charges will be August 1.

Q13. Will rent increases be phased-in?

Yes. Rent increases resulting from the new methodology (i.e. fair market value) will be phased-in. The annual monthly increase shall be equal to 25% of the current rent or $50.00 - whichever is highest to a maximum of $100 per month.

Q14. Does the Living Accommodation Charges Directive (LACD) still exist?

The provisions contained in the LACD have been merged with the existing Isolated Posts Directive. The new, consolidate Directive, is now called the Isolated Posts and Government Housing Directive (IPGHD).

Q15. Will the Living Cost Differential be "Capped" for Employee Couples?

When both embers of a couple are federal government employees, the aggregate of their rates for the LCD shall not exceed the rate for an Employee with Dependants – i.e. 100%.

Q16. How is Government Housing Allocated?

Wherever possible, Departments shall attempt to allocate appropriate size dwellings on the premise of one bedroom for each household member.

Q17. Am I entitled to receive the Fuel and Utilities Differential Allowance?

Provided you are paying fuel and utility charges directly to the supplier you'll receive a Fuel and Utilities Differential, at the rate set out in appendix D of the IPGHD.