In recognition of the National Joint Council's unique nature and role within the Public Service, the NJC is issuing the following Statement of Values, to be applicable to all situations and activities occurring under the auspices of the NJC, and to all parties participating in said activities.
- The NJC is committed to providing a collegial working environment for all parties, in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Furthermore, the NJC is committed to respecting the right of all individuals to work in a professional atmosphere, where discriminatory practices are prohibited.
- The NJC will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on race, creed, colour, place of origin, sex, age, family or marital status, sexual orientation, religion, physical or mental disability or abuse of authority.
- All parties have a responsibility to adhere to the values herein and to conduct themselves accordingly. Any individual witnessing harassment taking place in any form during NJC activities must take appropriate steps to end the harassment.
- The NJC is committed to respectful exchanges on all matters before its committees and boards of management, to negotiations and co-development in good faith and to the joint resolution of all conflicts in a timely manner.
- The NJC is committed to the confidentiality of its proceedings, to foster an environment of trust and open dialogue between the parties.
The intent of this Statement of Values is that it be used as a tool to assist the NJC in strengthening its relations and help reach its goals.